Dec 5th and 6th 1933
Explorations continue in the City. Many strange, wonderful and often disturbing sites are seen. Starkweather leads one group to the ancient riverbed and the beheaded statues that guard it.
Another group goes exploring round another tower and works their way through many surface remains.
The most interesting discoveries were:
- The missing Lake sleds and the body of Gedney are discovered at the bottom of the plaza tower. The sleds are missing their runners, and Gedney has been buried upright in a hole with a green stone placed ontop – in the same way the Elder Ones remains were found at Lakes Camp.
- A giant stone eye embedded in the ice – originally from the beheaded status of the Elder Ones
- An organic smell wafting up from the abyss where the river used to waterfall under the mountain.
- A black pyramid with doors at the top, inside there was a star pattern in the ceiling and a smoky quartz egg shaped rock with intricate inscriptions held on five crystals. The pyramid is old, but does not show up in the murals from the tower.
- A spiral tower with much larger doorways and rooms, and smooth ramps. Inscriptions in a curved script run around the tops of the walls.
- A room with many anatomical carvings of creatures long extinct
On the 6th Asmund thinks that he sees some new strange tracks – like the strange tracks at Lakes camp.
On the 6th, when returning to camp in the afternoon, everyone is looking for Dr Greene – no one has seen him for several hours. He was last seen poking about around the plaza.
George and Asmund eventually find his tracks and follow them near a building on the far side of the plaza. There they are joined by some strange tracks that head inside the building, up and onto a ledge and vanish.
Just then, there is an explosion, the Enderby is on fire. Everyone runs towards it.
George spots someone moving towards the Weddell and raising a gun. George readies his rifle and shoots. The fellow drops to the ground. When Eric reaches him, he sees he will not last long, moving his breathing mask – it is Kyle Williams.